Hospitality Management Degree Facts
It’s one thing to work for a hotel, but it’s another thing entirely to run a major hotel or entertainment facility. While for some, a generic business degree may suffice, a Hospitality Management degree focuses on running such an establishment.
The most popular type of Hospitality Management degree is a Bachelor’s Degree which runs for four years. The subjects you’ll have to study will include:
- Hotel management basics. These include finance and marketing, and hotel operations such as staffing, reservation systems, maintenance, and security.
- Events management. You will study how to manage various events, from seminars, trade shows, weddings, and parties.
- Restaurant management. You’ll learn how to properly run a restaurant, and the topics will include marketing, menu selection, and cost control.
- Casino management. This will include a closer look at gaming laws and regulations, as well as proper marketing, security, and even some game mathematics.
- Tourism management. This enables you to gain a much deeper understanding of tourism, and how a company can generate revenue from tourism.
What Can You Do with a Hospitality Management Degree?
You can do a lot. Armed with this degree, you stand a much better chance of being employed than your competitors, when you apply to the following organizations:
- Lodgings. These include resorts, hotels, inns, motels, bed and breakfast inns, and hunting or skiing lodges.
- Theme Parks. You can apply to the major theme parks like Disney, or you can work for the many fairs and theme parks all over the country.
- Casinos. This usually means Nevada or Atlantic City.
- Restaurants. You can become a restaurant manager fairly quickly. Or you can work for major fast food corporations.
- Resort Clubs. This may include entertainment resorts, or specialized places like golf resorts and community clubhouses.
- Event Planning. There are many business which help organize weddings, parties, and even concerts.
- Cruise Lines. You can be part of the upper management in various cruise liners.
- Sports and Entertainer Management Groups. You can help make travel and living arrangements for athletes and celebrities.
What are the Best Schools to get a Hotel Management Degree?
While you don’t really need a Hotel Management degree to work for a hotel or an entertainment facility, it does give you a huge boost if you have it when you are angling for a promotion. Here are some schools which can really raise your profile:
- Cornell University, School of Hotel Administration
- Michigan State University, School of Hospitality Business
- University of Nevada at Las Vegas, William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration
- Fairleigh Dickinson University, International School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Virginia Tech, Pamplin College of Business, Dept. of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management, Dept. of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Pennsylvania State University, School of Hospitality Management
- Washington State University, School of Hospitality Business Management
- University of Central Florida, Rosen College of Hospitality Management
- Iowa State University, College of Human Sciences, Dept. of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management (AESHM)
This author has no description available.