Architecture Degree Facts
Architecture is the discipline of designing and creating homes, buildings, and other large structures in which people may gather in. It is both a science that involves a fair amount of engineering, as well as an art because it also emphasizes aesthetics.
Among the most import aspects you will need to concentrate on will include:
- The quality and beauty of the design. Each school may have its own philosophy about his matter.
- Integrated design, which focuses on how many individuals can come up with a specific plan that incorporates various concerns, methods, and priorities;
- Sustainability and climate change, in which you study the ways the design can be “green”. Here, you can emphasize the use of recyclable materials, and your design should also be efficient in handling the heat or coolness of the environment.
- Technological advances. The advances in drafting software has made tremendous seismic shift in architecture, and a design job that once took many weeks can now be done in a matter of hours. But advances in architecture are introduced all the time, and you will need to know about them so that you can use them properly.
As an architecture student, most of the time you will be studying either math or any related subject, as well as aesthetics and art. You will learn how various parts of a home work and you will also learn to use CAD technology as well as draw designs by hand.
What Can You Do with an Architecture Degree?
You can be an architect, of course. But the kind of architect you will be will depend on your chosen specialization:
- You can be a creative artist if you focus on architectural design.
- You can be a specialist in architectural engineering, which focuses more on the physics and math of creating structures rather than the creative aspects.
- You can be an architectural technology specialist. Your focus will be on analyzing construction projects and applying the appropriate technology and materials to bring the design into reality.
- As an interior architecture specialist, you can focus on making sure that the space inside is both attractive and functional, by employing shape, form, color, and lighting.
- You can be a landscape architect, and create wonderful gardens, parks, or even golf courses.
- You can be a theorist when you specialize in architectural history.
- You can also be an urban planner and focus on the design of the community as a whole.
But you can still pursue other interests while you hold on to your architecture degree as a fallback option. For example, “Weird” Al Yankovic has a Bachelor’s in Architecture. It’s from the California Polytechnic State University, which is one of the best Architecture schools in the US.
What Are the Best Schools to Get an Architecture Degree?
According to architectural firms and other experts, the best schools to get an undergraduate Architecture degree are the following:
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Cornell University
- Southern California Institute of Architecture
- Syracuse University
- Rice University
- University of Texas at Austin
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Auburn University
- Iowa State University
This author has no description available.